Watch Preview

Kamen Rider V3
DVD Box Set

Watch Preview

Kikaida 01 DVD
Box Set

Watch Preview

ONLINE STORE

CELEBRATE KIKAIDA'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY IN HAWAII!

For the month of April, buy any DVD Box Set and get the Kikaida 01 DVD Box Set for 50% off!

Generation Kikaida Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

J-Drama News and Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Kikaida Forum Index -> Generation Kikaida
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August,

Cool info. as always!
Isn't it amazing, the things we have filed away in our memories...things we haven't thought about in decades, yet they're still all right there, just waiting for the right thing to come along a trigger them.

We didn't have much exposure to Ultraman here in Hawaii. Prior to 10-4 10-10, Kikaida and Rainbowman, the only Japanese tokusatsu (and, of course, back then, I had know idea of the term "tokusatsu") that I knew of was Godzilla and similar daikaiju movies.

When 10-4 10-10 ended and KIKU showed previews (trailers, today, I guess we call them,eh?) of the next show that would air in its time slot...a strange, but cool looking show about a red and blue robot with "lop-sided head" riding a sidecar motorcycle, fighting a rhinoceros monster and some other robots with spears that looked kinda like Bozo the Clown....something called, Jinzo Ningen Kikaida.

Who would have thought, back then, where that would lead....

Thanks for sharing your info. and your memories!
Sensei Mask Maker
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
genkikaida wrote:
Ah, yes SF and Mr. Hirose. I started a friendship with Fuji a long time ago because Mr. Hirose was such a humble and nice man. And he was always behind me when I got into fracases with some of the suppliers.

I loved their programming, and Mr. Hirose was so nice Ė and he let me bother him with requests all of the time; he was the person who told me that KIKAIDA was coming to Fuji TV, and I was initially disappointed that it wasnít an Ultraman show. I ended up loving KIKAIDA from the moment I saw the preview clip they ran the week before it premiered.

genkikaida wrote:
Are Tokyo TV and Yomiuri still around?

I donít know about Yomiuri, but Tokyo TV is still going strong Ė both Fuji TV and Tokyo TV are on Channel 26, every Saturday and Sunday night (and special holiday presentations), respectively.

Kataoka Chiezo played a modern day detective, too, right? Tatara something, a man with 7 faces?

Thatís right Ė Tarao Bannai! Toei tried to revive the character with Kobayashi Akira in 1978.

genkikaida wrote:
Hasegawa Kazuo was a pretty boy too, but back then pretty boys lasted because they had to be good actors as well.

When Katsushin was young, he was a pretty boy, too! Wasnít he? LOL!

genkikaida wrote:
Sugi was in Shingo and Umon Torimonocho, right? I think that's where he sang "Edo no Kuro Hyo."

genkikaida wrote:
That's why it floored me when many kayo bangumi shows were pulled from KIKU because of rumblings and grumblings from production companies and copyright holders. I know that the only thing we weren't allowed to do was air the 'haole' songs for lack of clearance.

Thatís really a shame.

genkikaida wrote:
Saigo was the main guy in Doterai. Word got back to Kansai about its popularity, and everyone was happy and grateful. Do you remember its ignoble end on KIKU? WW2 starts, and Saigo goes off to fight in Okinawa or somewhere. Japan loses, the Americans come in and for Christmas, the GI's start singing "Jingle Bells." That did it. KTV cut us off cuz Jingle was an American song! Can you imagine the outrage in Hawaii? I actually went on air to apologize, and bowed my head. It's laughable now, but my lawyer's wife said I looked so sad.

All I can say is, wow.

Interesting and funny story about Kawauchi Kohan, not only did he create a lot of shows, he also wrote the original story for superstar Kobayashi Akiraís first film, TOKYO NAGAREMONO (Tokyo Drifter, 1966), and also wrote the lyrics for the theme song (sung by Kobayashi). Of course, he also created the first Toku hero show, GEKKO KAMEN (Moonlight Mask, 1958), which also was the first to be dubbed into English!

BTW, Kawauchi is still alive and kicking (last time I checked); he also was interviewed for a book on RAINBOWMAN, DIAMOND EYE and CONDORMAN, published in 2002. The rights to his shows are still partly his and partly the production companies that produced them. Toho Company owns both RAINBOWMAN and DIAMOND EYE, and have issued both on VHS, Laserdisc, and now DVD, while CONDORMAN and NANAIRO KAMEN (Spectrum Mask) is owned by Toei. Kokusai Hoei owns MOONLIGHT MASK, which was originally produced by Senkosha.

SMM, could the FUJIMARU youíre talking about be the 65-episode animated series SHONEN NINJA KAZE-NO FUJIMARU (Boy Ninja: Fujimaru of the Wind), which was produced by Toei Animation in 1964-65? This was created by prolific shinobi-mono mangaka, Shirato Sanpei.

Another boy ninja, KAZE KOZO was the first television series Toei ever produced in 1959, starring a very young Meguro Yuuki, which Yamashiro Shingo playing his sidekick. In the second series, Yamashiro took over as Kaze Kozo, with Episode 14, when Meguro was elevated to feature films. There were three KAZE KOZO feature films that were spun off from the series, all starring Yamashiro. The teleseries ran for 48-episodes which were broadcast on NET.

You can see the opening credits for a lot of these shows on Toei's Tokusatsu Theme Song DVDs, which includes a lot of these early "kids" shows.

August

Yes, I believe it was Shonen Ninja Fujimaru! Animated feature! He wore smilar looking attire that Sanada wore in Iga Nipocho. Only difference Fujimaru had a pony tail.

That is cool to know that Meguro Yuki was the first actor in Kaze kozo. Meguro was great in many of Chiba's movies and TV series. I really liked him in the Gorilla 7, as Yagyu Samon in Yagyu Ichizoku No Imbo, and also the lead bad guy in Legend of the 8 Samurai.

I recently saw Meguro Yuki in a Japanese show where he traveld with his real wife and daughter to try restaurants and onsens throughout Japan. Everywhere he went the people treated him so well. The man is a humble guy and just seemed to blend with the townfolk where ever he went.

SMM
August
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In YABUREGASA TOSHU AKUNINGARI, the series Nakamura did right after KOZURE OKAMI, he played Kanai Toshu. The NET series ran from 1974-1977 for 131 episodes. Enami Kyoko played Inazuma-no Ran and Sakaki Daisuke was played by Manatsu Ryu, better known as Otori Gen from ULTRAMAN LEO! The series was produced by Nakamura Productions and Mifune Productions, right after the second SURONIN series wrapped.?

(Avatar: Producer Tohru Hirayama & me at Toei Studios, 1986)
Sensei Mask Maker
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
In YABUREGASA TOSHU AKUNINGARI, the series Nakamura did right after KOZURE OKAMI, he played Kanai Toshu. The NET series ran from 1974-1977 for 131 episodes. Enami Kyoko played Inazuma-no Ran and Sakaki Daisuke was played by Manatsu Ryu, better known as Otori Gen from ULTRAMAN LEO! The series was produced by Nakamura Productions and Mifune Productions, right after the second SURONIN series wrapped.?

August who was that sexy woman who was on Toshu's side? The one with the long hair! From what I remember she had an english first name in real life?

Yabure Gasa Toshu was another of my favorites and a cool show to boot!
August
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, guys -- I also thank you for sharing your memories! Many folks, including myself, were very fortunate to know of our beloved Nihonmachi, and to have had the benefit of Japanese programming on local television, and of course, our local Japanese theater, the Kokusai. back in the day.

Interesting thing about 10-4/10-10 was that Mizuki Jo was the "hero", Iwashiro Tetsuo, but as Hanagata Ippei, Ikeda Shunsuke stole the show from him. (The star of the series was Kurosawa Toshio as Dr. Mori Haruhiko.) The BGM and theme were written by Watanabe Takeo, and the theme song was sung by Mizuki Jo. (Mizuki, the star of NINJA SQUAD: MOONLIGHT in the 1960s, went on to star in MAJIN HUNTER MITSURUGI).

There was a second 10-4/10-10 series planned, which would have included one of the characters transforming into a Kamen Rider-like superhero. I wonder what that would have been like...?

sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei, August,

Yes, that's the one! "Shonen Ninja Kaze no Fujimaru"!
And, Meguro Yuki!!! See? It's amazing how one memory triggers another! Yes, I remember kinda "rooting" for him in Gorilla 7 and The Bodyguard, his character always being not quite as good at fighting the bad guys as Chiba. I also recall Meguro Yuki being cast, along with Frankie Sakai in the miniseries, "Shogun", as "Kashigi Omi" the nephew (I think it was) to Frankie Sakai's "Kashigi Yabu".

genkikaida, did Meguro Yuki ever make an appearance in Hawaii? I seem to sorta remember some news about him coming to Honolulu.
sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hanagata Ippei (Ikeda-san) sure turned out to be more the fan-favorite and "star" of the show!

That would have been cool to see another 10-4 10-10 with a transforming character. I wonder if Ikeda-san knew anything about such plans? Should ask him some time.

Thanks, August! I never knew about such plans!
This is really cool!

10-4, Ryokai!! ^^
August
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMM,
Enami Kyoko is whom I think you are referring to; she was the second-billed star of the series. Very exotic-looking, she was often cast as foreigners or femme fatales. Her real name is Nohira Kazumi. I didn't see any other actress in the cast listing with a gaijin first name.

She also played a New Guinea native, Karen, in GAMERA VS. BARUGON (1966). Here's a photo of her from one of her Gambling Woman movies from the 1960s/1970s (13 in all):

Sokubo,
The info on 10-4/10-10 came from the books "Tsuburaya Puro Tokusatsu Daikan" (Asahi Sonorama, 1989) and "The Making of Tsuburaya Heroes" (1987), which I have in my library. Ikeda-san stands out in every series he has appeared in, including RETURN OF ULTRAMAN; MAT Officer Minami has always been one of my favorites.

'10-4, ryokai!" Smile

Sensei Mask Maker
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August wrote:
SMM,
Enami Kyoko is whom I think you are referring to; she was the second-billed star of the series. Very exotic-looking, she was often cast as foreigners or femme fatales. Her real name is Nohira Kazumi. I didn't see any other actress in the cast listing with a gaijin first name.

She also played a New Guinea native, Karen, in GAMERA VS. BARUGON (1966). Here's a photo of her from one of her Gambling Woman movies from the 1960s/1970s (13 in all):

Sokubo,
The info on 10-4/10-10 came from the books "Tsuburaya Puro Tokusatsu Daikan" (Asahi Sonorama, 1989) and "The Making of Tsuburaya Heroes" (1987), which I have in my library. Ikeda-san stands out in every series he has appeared in, including RETURN OF ULTRAMAN; MAT Officer Minami has always been one of my favorites.

'10-4, ryokai!" Smile

August

You are good! That is the very woman!

Domo!
SMM
sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August,

Mata osewa ni narimashita!
Eh, tanks, eh, brah! ^^

Are those books still available anywhere?

"10-10, Yoroshiku!" Wink
sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei,

Wow! Now I know why you remember her!
You have a good eye for all things beautiful!! ^^
Sensei Mask Maker
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sokubo wrote:
August,

Mata osewa ni narimashita!
Eh, tanks, eh, brah! ^^

Are those books still available anywhere?

"10-10, Yoroshiku!" Wink

Her face has that traditional shape that is popular with even a western audience!
August
Komyoji
Komyoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokubo, you're very welcome -- thank you! Smile Those books are way OOP; I've never seen anyone sell any of them even on Yahoo! Japan; but I did see a copy of "Tsuburaya Puro Tokusatsu Daikan" in a shop in Tokyo a few years ago, going for over $300 USD! BIKKURI! Mou takai, na!?

As for Miss Enami; I only wish that I could have found a better photo of her -- that was the most flattering photo I could find on the internet (I really need to buy a new scanner).

sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August,

Shocked $300! Yeah, that is kind of a lot! But, I guess for one so OOP and rare that's not so out of line. But, yeah...Boku mo bikkuri shita!

Anyway, thanks!
sokubo
Super Android Kikaida
Super Android Kikaida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Mask Maker wrote:

Her face has that traditional shape that is popular with even a western audience!

un. Sou desu yo ne!
Shimada Yoko (most well-known in the U.S. for her role as "Mariko" in "Shogun") also had that kind of beauty admired worldwide, ne?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Generation Kikaida Forum Index -> Generation Kikaida All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: